Thursday, July 18, 2013

Bug's 3rd Birthday

My son just had his third birthday a few weeks ago, and we had a Cars birthday party, since that is his all-time favorite movie. I made Lightening McQueen invitations using the Cricut Cars and Alphalicious cartridges.

I started by cutting some 4.5 x 3.5" rectangles out of a light brown paper (for the dirt), 4.5 x 3" rectangles out of light blue (for the sky), and some 4 x 3.5" rectangles out of black (the road). To make the road more dimensional, I used a pencil and marked the edge of each sheet .5" in from either side of the top edge. I then used my paper trimmer to cut from the pencil mark on the top to the bottom corner. To make the center lines, I used a ruler and my American Crafts White Galaxy Marker.


I cut McQueen at 2", and since I used the image that was facing straight forward, it wasn't too terrible to put together. I embossed his wheels with black metallic embossing powder to give them a shine (plus it shows up better against the black background!). "It's a Party" was cut from the Alphalicious cartridge at about 2.5".


For the inside, I used my Hobby Lobby "You're Invited" stamp for the details of the party. This is where the Stamp-A-Ma-Jig comes in really handy, because with this particular stamp, I have trouble stamping it straight! To use the Stamp-A-Ma-Jig, you take the plastic sheet that came with it, line it up in the corner of the Stamp-A-Ma-Jig, ink your stamp, and slide the top corner of the stamp down the corner of the Stamp-A-Ma-Jig. The cool thing about this tool is that you can use it right OR left handed!


After you've stamped the plastic sheet (smooth side for water-based inks, textured side for pigment and dye inks), lay it over your paper where you want to stamp. Holding down the plastic sheet, put your Stamp-A-Ma-Jig back at the top left-hand corner (or right if you're a lefty). Once it's lined up, remove the plastic sheet while holding down the Stamp-A-Ma-Jig - you don't want it to move!


While holding your Stamp-A-Ma-Jig still, take your stamp (re-ink it if necessary) and slide it down the corner and side of the tool, and viola! you've stamped it straight (providing it was lined up straight! That's hard to do sometimes!)!


I hope you've enjoyed my little tutorial. I regret that I couldn't post earlier than this, but we have been busy with his birthday, family visiting, and other activities! I hope you have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!